Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Time to Say Goodbye?

I went to a church service for the first time in months this past Sunday. I know how lame that makes me. It really was never my intention to be gone for so long, but here we are.

It was a good service. I actually wish I could go back. (Too bad the church is an hour away in Denver.)

The pastor spoke about a portion of the 10 commandments in Exodus. He had an interesting take, one that I hadn’t considered before. When talking about not coveting, why not talk about contentment?

His point was that we should be content no matter our circumstances, no matter our belongings.

But I begin to wonder, isn’t there a point where being content might actually cause more harm than good? I look at my life and the stagnancy I’ve been suffering through. Could I become content with where my life is and where it doesn’t seem to be heading? Sure. But if I did that, would it ever change? Would I ever find meaning for my life? Would I ever get to experience any of the dreams I’ve so far put on the shelf?

I don’t think so. I think there is a time for contentment. There is a time to settle down and be happy where God has you right now. It’s the “grow where you’re planted” concept.

I’m also not questioning God’s providence. I’m not questioning that He knows what He’s doing, that we are exactly where God intends.

I’m only suggesting that perhaps, where I am right now has more to do with the choices I have unwittingly made for myself and less to do with God’s best for me. Is it possible to move yourself outside of God’s plan for your life? Possibly, but that could be a discussion for another day.

For as far back as I can remember I’ve been planning for the future. I have been saving and stockpiling things for what I thought was going to be my future. In fact, I’ve prepared for the future I thought I was heading towards for so long, that I’ve actually reached the point where I don’t think I could live in the future I thought I would be in. I know that doesn’t make sense. But I have now been on my own for long enough to realize that I have become too dependent on my stuff. I’ve become very reliant on what I can provide for myself.

I have become so reliable, in fact, that I have effectively cut myself off from most everyone I know. It’s a long story for how I got to this point. But let’s just say I do not want to become content in this situation. I would almost rather sell all my belongings and start over again, than to stay here indefinitely.

But at the same time, I find that getting rid of what I’ve accumulated… well, it’s a little more difficult than I originally imagined.

It’s not just a matter of saying goodbye to stuff. That is difficult enough. It’s more a matter of saying goodbye to the dreams the stuff represents.

I remember reading a book in high school. While I can’t exactly remember which book it was, I remember that at the beginning was a poem. The poem asked the question, “What happens to a dream deferred.” Believe me; I don’t think I’ve understood the question more completely than now.

What happens when more often than not, your dreams have been shelved? I’ll tell you. You begin to believe that none of your dreams will come true. And at that point… well, it’s not exactly pretty.

So, how do I reach beyond this point to achieve the contentment we all desire?

I believe it starts with saying goodbye to some dreams that I’ve held onto for so long. Which starts with saying goodbye to some stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment